Finding Musical Scores
in the Neil Hellman Library
Location: Scores are located on the 3rd floor, after the 920’s. They have various call numbers. Examples:
- SCO 780.263 M9874 no. 22
- MISC – 44 or YK – 8
Tips for Finding Scores Using the Online Catalog:
All scores with the call number SCO 780.263 and some using the S-00-0000 call number are in the online catalog: http://www.strose.edu/academics/library
To search for specific scores:
- Search for a composer or title, and limit your search to “music scores”
- Do a keyword search, and limit to “music scores”
- Suggested keywords: high voice, medium voice, low voice, songs, piano music, symphonies, suites, operas, choruses, masses, concertos, chamber music,
and 4 hands
- Search within subject browse and look for headings that end with “– Scores.”
- Example: Songs (high voice) with orchestra – Scores.
- Suggested search terms: piano music, songs, operas, or concertos
- Additional subject terms can be found using the Library of Congress Subject Headings: http://authorities.loc.gov/
Finding Scores with a S-00-0000 Call Number:
For scores not in the online catalog, there is a card catalog (located next to these scores on the 3rd floor) you can use to search for specific composers and titles.
Scores are grouped together by a 2-digit instrument type and/or genre, then arranged by a 4 digit accession number. Here is a guide to the 2-digit instrument type and/or genre:
- 00 – Miscellaneous
- 10 – Solo Piano
- 20 – Solo Instrument with Piano, Chorus with Piano, String Ensemble with Piano
- 30 – Chamber Music: Winds and Strings
- 50 – Chamber Music: Strings
- 60 – Orchestra
- 74 – Solo Voice (Songs, song cycles)
- 76 – Chorus
- 86 – Cantatas, masses, requiems with full orchestra
- 90 – Operas, operettas, ballets with full orchestra
More Places to Search for Scores:
You can browse the MISC and YK scores on the third floor.
The following series can be found in the basement stacks:
- Collegium Musicum (q785 C697)
- Recent Researches in American Music (q780.903 R295a)
- Recent Researches in the Music of the Baroque Era (q780.903 R295b)
- Recent Researches in the Music of the Classical Era (q786.4054 R295r)
- Recent Researches in the Music of the Middle Ages and Early Renaissance (q780.94 R295)
- Recent Researches in the Music of the Renaissance (q780.903 R295r)
There are two web resources on the Music Research by Subject page:
Scores not owned by the library can be requested through ILL (interlibrary loan)
- Please request scores using the book option
Music scores can be checked out at the circulation desk.
Loan period: 3 weeks; One renewal of 3 weeks
Fines and fees: $.10 per day, per item
- You must have a valid Saint Rose ID with you to check out items from the library.
- Items may be renewed in person or by phone (518) 454-5180.
- Please see the Neil Hellman Library handbook or ask at the circulation desk for information on the placement of holds or recalls on checked-out materials.
Ask a reference librarian if you need help!