Tips & Tricks for Searching in Databases
Look to your thesis statement or research question for keywords and/or phrases that express your idea.
Two ways to approach researching your topic: Broad vs. Narrow
· Choose general but relevant search terms
· Think about related terms or synonyms
· Begin with one or two search terms
· Explore topics or subject terms
assigned by a database
“civil rights” = Broad
“freedom riders” = narrow
· Add additional keywords
· Choose narrower, more specific search terms
· Search for phrases by using “quotes”
· Use Filters: select item types, publication dates, etc.
Narrow = “National Organization for Women”
Broad = “second-wave feminism”